General Motors has pulled the covers back on its highly-anticipated first all-electric pickup – the 2022 GMC Hummer EV Edition 1. The pickup, which will be built at GM’s Factory ZERO in Detroit and Hamtramck, will be the first fully-electric addition to GMC’s lineup that starts production late next year.
This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, GM’s president. “With our Ultium Drive architecture as the foundation for an exceptionally broad range of performance, Hummer EV is perfect for the customer who wants capability, efficiency and performance.”
Highlights of available features include:
- 4-wheel steer featuring CrabWalk1, which is exclusive to the segment. It allows the rear wheels and front wheels to steer at the same angle at low speeds, enabling diagonal movement for even greater maneuverability on challenging terrain.
- Adaptive Air Suspension with Extract Mode2 capability, which allows the suspension height to be raised 6 inches to help the Hummer EV negotiate extreme off-road situations.
- It will have 35-inch-OD Goodyear Wrangler All Territory MT tires standard and can accommodate 37-inch tires. These tires are extra strong and flexible for maneuverability and can scale 18-inch verticals and drive through water deeper than two feet.
- Underbody armor, consisting of steel plates around the battery pack to help protect it in extreme off-roading conditions.
- UltraVision4 that includes new front and rear underbody cameras with live “virtual spotter” views to help drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are packaged to protect against damage and have a wash function to clear debris.
- Off-road widgets that display vehicle functions and terrain status through the infotainment and driver information screens.
The new Hummer EV Edition 1 will begin hitting showrooms in Fall of 2021 and will carry a starting price tag of $112,595 USD.