Prince’s family has filed a lawsuit against the doctor who prescribed him pain pills saying that the doctor failed to treat for an addiction to opiates. Therefore he is responsible for his death two years ago.
Why This Matter: Prince Rogers Nelson died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl April 15, 2016. Authorities say Dr. Michael Schulenberg admitted prescribing a different opioid to Prince in the days before he died, oxycodone, under his bodyguard’s name to protect the musician’s privacy. Schulenberg has disputed that, although he paid $30,000 to settle a federal civil violation alleging that the drug was prescribed illegally.
Notable Quotes: “Dr. Schulenberg stands behind the care that Mr. Nelson received. We intend to defend this case.” – Dr. Michael Schulenberg’s attorney, Paul Peterson
What’s Next?: The lawsuit also names North Memorial Health Care, where Schulenberg worked at the time; UnityPoint Health, which operates the Moline hospital; and Walgreens Co., which operates two drug stores where Prince got prescriptions filled. The earlier lawsuit named only UnityPoint and Walgreens.