COMPLEX MAGAZINE’S 50 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT MICHAEL JORDAN
The day that most Jordan fans have been anticipating is finally here. Michael Jeffrey Jordan turns a half century today. With all the ESPN coverage and recent comparisons to LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, it’s been a great lead up to this day.
We all know what Michael Jordan has done on and off the court, even in his post playing days. But our friends over at Complex Magazine put together an interesting article about the “50 Things You Didn’t Know About Michael Jordan”.
A few of the things that stood out to us were:
49. He was never actually cut from his high school basketball team.
48. When his No. 23 jersey was stolen from the Orlando Magic’s locker room, he wore No. 12.
46. Jordan grew up rooting for NC State, not UNC.
41. His original shoe deal with Nike was for $2.5M over five years.
35. He majored in cultural geography.
32. He never saw “The Shot” over Craig Ehlo go in. His iconic celebration was based purely on the reaction of the crowd.
31. He preferred Adidas to Nike
27. During the 1997 NBA Playoffs, Jordan walked into Washington’s locker room with a lit cigar and asked Wizards players, ‘Who’s going to check me tonight?”
23. He ate the same meal before every game: a 23-ounce steak, a baked potato, and a ginger ale.
5. While playing AA baseball, Jordan would take batting practice at 7:30 a.m. and swing until his hands bled. For his efforts, he recorded a .202 career batting average.